Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Portfolio/Market Update - 1/27/10

Before reading, please see the disclaimer in the 'About Me' section.

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. It's that busy time of the year with CPA exams and work getting in the way. Apparently some people actually read this blog, so I am taking the time out tonight to update it. Here goes...

Today the Wilshire 5000 closed at 11,342.70, down from 11,715 since my last post on 1/15/10. The
Wilshire 5000 has lost a little over 3% since my last post, and is now hovering around 9% above it's 200-day moving average. It is worth noting the last time the index was below 10% above it's 200-day moving average was back in July, and the index was 20% higher than it's 200-day moving average last in the end of October.

The Investor's Intelligence Survey was released on Thursday night of last week, as it is every week. This survey is a measurement of the sentiment in the market. This week's reading was 52.2% BULLS, and 18.9% BEARS, for a spread of 33.3%. This is in comparison to a reading of 53.4% BULLS, and 15.9% BEARS, for a spread of 37.5% on January 12th.

The Volatility Index closed out the week at 23.14, up from 17.91 at the date of my last post.

Now for the portfolio...
1) Verizon at $29.87, down 9.84% for the year (ouch...still).

2) AT&T closed at $26.70, up .04% for the year, and flat since my last post. However, anybody who watched the Apple show today has to be encouraged.

3) GE closed the week at $16.30, up by 7.73% for the year.

4) Citigroup closed the week at $3.20, down by 3.32% for the year.

5) TBT, the doubleshort U.S. Treasury ETF closed at $47.77, down by 4.23% for the year. I have been following the Bernanke story, and while I am super-bullish on this ETF, I would be even more bullish if he does not get confirmed for a second term. Plus, it acts as a nice hedge for my two new additions to the portfolio...

6) FXP, the doubleshort China ETF, which was my latest addition a few weeks ago, closed at $9.91, up 14.97% since my buy.

Today I am going to go ahead and fill two more slots of my portfolio with GOOD, Gladstone Commercial Group, which is a commercial real estate REIT. GOOD is currently trading at $13.48, and I find the 11+% dividend to be quite attractive. The dividend has been a steady $.115/share for quite some time now, which I love. As I have looked at their balance sheet and statement of cash flows, I have become even more optimistic.

The final spot I am going to fill today is NLY, Annaly Capital Management, which is also a REIT but deals in mortgage backed securities. Their dividend was just increased to 17+%, and while it is a bit more fickle than GOOD's, I feel as though my TBT holding helps to mitigate that risk. I feel this stock has a bit more upside price-wise than GOOD, considering their strong profit history and cash flows from operations, not to mention the space they operate in. Furthermore, aAs the perception of the housing market improves, I feel as though this company is positioned in a manner that will allow the price to increase.

Overall, the portfolio is up by .90% (-.68% for the DOW Dogs), versus -1.35% for the Wilshire 5000. I still have two slots open in the portfolio, but I am going to be patient and take what the market shows in stride. Given where it is in relation to the 200-day moving average, and where the VIX currently is, I think it's almost time to fill the portfolio and let it ride.

As always, question and comments are most welcome.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

DISCLAIMER: I started this blog as a way for people to exchange ideas relating to investing and finance, primarily. I am in no way a professional in these areas, merely a student of the financial world. The thoughts expressed on these pages have no connection to my employer in any way. Anybody reading this blog should do so with caution, exercise their own judgment, and do their own due diligence on any financial undertaking. About Me: I reside in New Jersey with my wife and my two dogs. I have a B.S. degree in Accounting with a minor in Finance, as well as an MBA in Accounting. Currently, I am employed as a forensic accountant, and am pursuing my CPA designation. I love the stock market, and picking stocks. I spend a great deal of time analyzing market data, as well as individual names.

Followers